WILLIAM F. WELCH
WILLIAM F. WELCH - Of Counsel joined Merritt Watson as Senior Counsel/Arbitrator in 2007, having served as Senior Partner at Welch Spell, P.C. (15 years) and previously as a partner at Neely & Player, P.C. (19 years) in Atlanta, Georgia. He is married and has two children. His hobbies are golf, hiking, collecting art and Old West antiques.
Mr. Welch advises US and international manufacturing and services clients in corporate, transactional and in the distribution of products and services. He was also a commercial litigator for 10 years. For 18 years Mr. Welch has served as appointed neutral arbitrator on the large complex commercial panel of the American Arbitration Association and the International Centre for Dispute Resolution. He has been appointed in more than 85 commerical arbitrations (10 international) since 2000. The appointments have involved parties and counsel from 15 states and several foreign countries.
In 2003 he was founding president of the Georgia Arbitrators’ Forum, Inc. Mr. Welch is past president of Georgia Volunteer lawyers for the Arts, Inc. and for many years has been active with the Netherlands American Foundation and a Director of the Netherlands American Chamber of Commerce in the United States. He has beeen regularly selected by his peers as an Atlanta Magazine Georgia “Super Lawyer” in the area of corporate law and in 2006 was elected to Who’s Who Legal: Georgia for his arbitration work.
General Practice Areas
- Intellectual Property
- Arbitration/Mediation (ADR)
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) – University of Georgia School of Law, 1971
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Finance – Boston College, 1967
- State Bar of Georgia, Registered Neutral, Supreme Court of Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution
- Academy of Court Appointed Masters
- The Advocates Club
- The Arbitrators Forum, LLC (President 2003-2004)
- International Society of Insurance Receivers
- Georgia, 1971